Background

Monday, May 24, 2021

Chafin baby #6

 So we are having another baby! Can we just take a minute and let that sink in. Another baby....really seriously another baby!?!?  I will have to admit I'm struggling with coming to terms with this. To be honest this baby was not planned. Planned in a sense where Adam and I weren't trying to conceive another child. We had talked about the possibility of another baby and I had bought some prenatal vitamins just incase we decided to start trying. But there was no real discussion about it. We were slowly talking about the possibility but had both agreed that it wasn't the right time yet, and neither one of us were 100% on board.  And before people get all judgy, yes we know how it happens, and yes to all that stuff...BUT we have been using the NFP method of planning our family for the last 13 years. And to be honest this is the first and only "slip up" we've had. Yes the twins weren't exactly planned but we also weren't preventing at the time we conceived them and were completely open to more children.   

So we are slowing coming to terms with the fact that we are having another baby. And here is the story of how we found out we were pregnant again.

I don't have the most regular cycle since having kids, which truly does make NFP a little more difficult. It isn't unusual for me to have cycles that are 23 days to 45-50 days. So in October I was 5 days late, so I was at work so I decided to take a pregnancy test. It was negative so I thought this was just another month where my cycle was longer. By the following friday I still hadn't started so I decided to take another pregnancy test (I get them at work....shhhhh) they take about 5 minutes to confirm a negative test. After about 2.5 minutes it looked negative so I again thought it was negative. At about 2:30 in the morning, the girl that I was working with in triage and I were talking about cycles, and I was telling her about how I can range from being a few days early (for an average 33 day cycle) to up to 17 days late.  At that point I think I was about 15 days late. I told her I took a pregnancy test at the beginning of the shift and it was negative. Well she asked me if I would take another one because she didn't believe me. So sure enough I took one and placed it on the counter. At two minutes it was negative and we both got busy so we came back about 10 or so minutes later and she felt like she saw a very faint second line. I thought I saw it too and began to spiral. By this time it was about 4 am and I told her I needed to go to CVS and get a test that said yes or no. So I did and wouldn't ya know what it said. 


I was in complete disbelief. I couldn't believe it. I came out of the bathroom and my co-worker asked what it said, I just kept my head down and shook it. She was so excited and then there was me just in complete shock. 

So I got home that morning, It was a Saturday and Adam was sleeping so I woke him up and brought him into the bathroom with me. He was barely awake and asked "What's wrong" I said nothing, but I wanted to show you this, I showed him the test. Here is how the conversation went:

Him: Whose pregnant
Me: I am
Him: Shut up
Me: I'm not kidding
Him: Holy shit--he then precedes to lay back down, I peak at him and he is wide awake laying in bed, when I ask ; "What are you doing?" he responded "I don't Know"   

I then get in the shower and he comes in...

Him "is this a joke"
Me: "no its not"
him: "when did this happen" 
Me: "Um I clearly don't know"
Him: "seriously is this a joke, is that someone else's test"
Me: "No babe it's really mine."

I finished my shower and then preceded to actually take the second test in front of him to prove it. Needless to say we were both quite shocked. But I have to give him credit because he really did warm up to and get more comfortable with the shock of having another baby a lot faster than I did. There are times I still struggle with it. 

I'm someone who likes control over my life, not much else, and also this was very similar to when we found out I was pregnant with the twins so I think it was just a lot of emotions coming back to me. 

So after we both chilled out a bit, I called my OB to schedule my first OB appointment. Based off my LMP I was about 5-6 weeks pregnant. So I had an appointment scheduled for  October 27th. 

At my appointment they did a ultrasound to see how far along I was. I should have been about 8 weeks at the ultrasound. Then when the ultrasound tech did the ultrasound she said I looked to be a little earlier than 8 weeks. Upon measurement I was in fact only 6 weeks instead of 8 weeks. 

Hi Baby

So we finally had an answer as to how baby number 6 came to be. To match up with the size of the baby would mean that I had ovulated 2 days before my period started. So when I took the test to find out I was actually pregnant I was barely 4 weeks, which means that the baby was just implanted! SO crazy to think about!! But also isn't it fun to be old and have your cycle get so out of wack!?? 

But we sure are blessed. I'm feeling so grateful to be able to carry another baby. Part of me actually feels guilty since so many people can't, or have a hard time. And although this baby wasn't necessarily planned, its a blessing and it's loved no matter what! So HERE WE GO AGAIN!


No comments:

Post a Comment