Background

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Help

So I've just now realized that I forgot to blog about our book last month. So I will start with that.
Our book for July was Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo.
This book was on my reading list, but with school I wasn't sure how I was going to accomplish that one. Luckily Sarah picked it so I was "forced" to read it.  Its a quick easy read and I have to say I LOVED IT. I am personally a very spiritual person and what I believe may be different for different people. However what I love about our God is that he is present for everyone in different ways. Just because I don't believe in one aspect of someone else's beliefs doesn't make theirs wrong. I personally love hearing about people's experiences with God, because for me it's just awesome to see how God presnets himself in other peoples lives.
I rated this book an 8 almost 9 out of 10. There were parts of it that had me in tears and hoping and praying that heaven would be as this little boy described. However there were many people in the group that weren't in love with the book and for different reasons. But for me it was enlightening, hopeful and a truly miraculous story. I did however go into reading it with the mindset of choosing to believe what was written on the page and what the story was describing.
I highly recommend this book!

On tuesday we met to discuss our book for August. It was my pick and I had chosen The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I honestly picked this book as my pick LAST Septemeber. My sister had read it and recommended it and I found it on Amazon for only 8 dollars in hardback. So I have been waiting and waiting to read this book. Over the course of almost a year, I found out they were making a movie about it and my anticipation grew. On top of all that people kept telling me how GREAT it was and how much I HAD to read it.
With the end of school I was unfortunatley forced to listen to this book on my iPod which provided me with great entertainment and allowed me to "read" while traveling to work and clinicals, as well as while I painted the trim in the baby's room. I truly love listening to books, it offers great entertainment with the different voices and dialects!
Well I have to say that this book was ok. It was an interesting read that kept my attention. However I was not much a fan of the ending. It really seemed to end abruptly and with wanting to know more. Maybe I am so used to books where the revenge is so horrible that this book just seemed to end without any real resolve to the issues.  I also feel like there was such a build up of the whole story that it was sort of just a let down at the end of how things "resolved". But perhaps this all has more to do with the subject matter of the book. Since it is about whites and black and the discrimination of the blacks in the 1960s, how much resolve could their really be when issues such as these are still present today?
On another note it was a great story of how life was in Mississippi for black and really white women during the 1960s. I enjoyed the story and enjoyed reading it and it really was an easy read that I wanted to know what happened with each part of the story. The characters were interesting and really grabbed your attention. I truly enjoyed this book and would definately recommend it, but I think that my anticipation and everyone talking so much hype about the book made my expectations a little too high and so for me it was somewhat of a let down, but overall it was a great book!

For Septemeber we are reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. I just started it Tuesday and am not even through the first chapter. With trying to study for boards I may have to do an audiobook again. Well until next month...here's to happy reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment