Background

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Incomplete...WHAT???

Today marked my last clinical for my Community Health Class. I have been at a facility called Tender Care Home Health for the last week. They offer home health services to different clients throughout the city. The clients I saw were mostly children who needed almost 24 hour nursing care.

What I liked most about this company is that it was run the way companies should be run. They cared more about the care they were providing to patients rather than the bottom dollar. You often hear horror stories about home health companies but this one was different.

I really enjoyed my time there and it really showed me a different perspective on nursing. While it may not be something I can do daily, it would offer a nice change of pace. So it's always a possibility...in the future.

Well anyways today was supposed to be last day. My client was on the southside of town. I had to be there at 8 am. well I was a mere 10 minutes from the clients home(it was almost a 50 minute drive) when the agency called me and said that the nurse I was to be with had a death in her family and wouldn't be there that day, so I couldn't go. She then said there were no other nurses I could follow today because they had a monthly meeting and they didn't have nurses out doing visits....WHATTT??? I said ok, I'll call my instructor and find out what to do.

Well I called my instructor, but she didn't answer, so I called the other instructor. She did answer and told me that I would have to make up the clinical. I told her how was that possible because I have to work the next 3 days, then I have to study for my final next week. She said well then you'll get an incomplete until you can fit it in. WTF lady? It wasn't my fault they cancelled. I was pissed.

In the mean time my instructor called me back, I explained the story to her. She offered me trying to go to another facility today where there weren't students, and since most didn't start until later in the morning it might be a strong possibility. It was about 7:45 at this point. I said ok so I should head back north? She said yes, and that she would make some calls, that she knew the maternal fetal medicine clinical didn't have a student that day so hopefully I could get in there.

Well in my 45 minute drive back to my house, I called my mom, frustrated as ever, who offered me my comforting support as always...but as I was about to get off on my exit she called me back saying MFM could take me and to just head over there. Needless to say I was thrilled!

So today has been stressful but everything worked out in the end!!! And I got to see 5 ultrasounds and a non-stress test, and learn about gestational diabetes! It turned out to be a great day and I'm so thankful things turned out in the end. It just goes to show you that things always happen for a reason and for me it was so I could get an experience I would truly cherish!

My stressful day turned out to be a wonderful one! And to top it all off my friend came over and got started on the mural for the baby's room. I love it and cant' wait to see the progress she makes tomorrow. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful people like her in my life! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment