Background

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Club

Ok so I know I said I would give an update every time my book club reads a book. Well unfortunately Life happened and I forgot. so here is my recap from the last 4 months.


After Dracula for the month of February (we combined December and January due to holidays) we  read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


I have to say that this was by far my favorite book we've read. It truly is a sweet story and you fall in love with the characters. It's easy to get lost in and also an easy read.  The story is about an young family who go through a very difficult time. However it is told through the eyes of their family dog. I don't even think you have to be an animal lover to love it as much as I did. It's just such a unique story.  There is also going to be a movie next year hopefully. This makes me excited and sort of sad because I want them to do the movie justice and you never know how it will turn out... HIGHLY recommend!!!  


GRADE A+ 10/10


The next book we read was The Vampire Lestat by Ann Rice. I'm ashamed to admit but this is the only book I did not read. My excuses are, 1. I was really busy with school, it was the start of another class, 2. they didn't have it on Audio book. and 3. I just really was tired of reading about vampires. However those 2 people who did read the book seemed to really like it. All I can tell you is that its the second book in the vampire chronicles, also known as the book after Interview with a Vampire. Hopefully one day I will read this book. 


Grade: IDK...


Our next book was Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. I'm a little biased but I am big fan of Emily Giffin. This was Nikki's pick, and I shamefully admit that I  sort of talked her into reading it. I originally read this book back in 2004 when it first came out. I was getting ready to go off to college, the first time around ::gasp was it really that long ago::: and I was walking through Barnes and Noble and thought the cover looked intriguing. So I bought,  Loved it and have read all of her other novels. What I loved about this one was that although you hate one of the characters and you even hate what another one is doing, you love the overall story. There is a sequel to this one called Something Blue, and you end up loving the character you hated. What I like most about Giffin's books are that they are all intertwined somehow. The first two are the only ones directly related but the other 3 have a character or two that is somehow related to the first story. Kinda cool.  Anyways I saw the movie and really enjoyed it as well. Stayed fairly close to the book. Although I have learned to go into movies about books with an open mind because when you think about it, it really is hard to get all the details of the book. either way HIGHLY recommend Both!
Grade: A 8/10


Our book for May, which we met to discuss last night was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  I actually listened to this book on audio book back in January as a recommendation from a friend of mine. This friend knows I like to read and with my account through Audible.com I get a free book each month. ( I love audible.com by the way because I am in the car so much, I am able to "read books again" but I always get the unabridged version, bc I learned the hard way that the abridged is like a movie where they cut out a lot of stuff!) Anyways, I have to say that while I wasn't obsessed with the book like some people I truly enjoyed it. It was an eye opening account of what a circus could be like. I think what kept me from LOVING this book was that there were parts that just didn't settle with me morally. I also didn't love the relationship between the two main characters. When I like a book that has to do with a love story I have to love the characters and love them together. But this just wasn't the case for me with this book. But I will say that everyone else loved it and either gave it a 9 or a 10.  I've also seen the movie and actually really liked it. I'm not sure if I liked the movie because I wasn't in love with book or what, but I felt they did the book justice and the story as well. But I recommend BOTH! 
Grade : B+ 7/10


Our book for June is Same Different as Me by Ron Hall. I'm really looking forward to this one because it seems like such a departure for me and our bookclub. I promise to update everyone after that one! :) 
Until then if you enjoy reading I recommend some of these selections so Happy Reading 




No comments:

Post a Comment