Background

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

9 weeks with a surprise!

Week of October 23rd

Today I had my first OB appointment. My doctor recently joined the group that I originally went to when I was pregnant with Lincoln. So I was scheduled for my ultrasound at 12:30. I had worked the night before and only got about 2 hrs of sleep before waking up to go. I didn't go back for my ultrasound until almost 1:45! I was exhausted, and hungry and was very anxious. I just wanted to know that my baby was ok, alive and well!

When the ultrasound tech started her exam she had the screen faced her. I was studying her like a hawk and I noticed her face made a twitch, then it did it again. Finally she turns the monitor to me, as she says "I'm going to show you what I'm seeing". When the monitor was turned to me, my heart dropped because all I saw was my empty uterus. Then she moved the wand, and said "I'm seeing two"...my immediate reaction was..."um what" she repeated herself and I immediately started to cry. I was all alone because Adam had just gone back to work the week before after being off for a month after having knee surgery and I knew he couldn't have taken time to come with me. My heart just swelled and I'm even getting emotional thinking about it now. It's such crazy blessing. The tech let me take a video of their heart beats so I could show Adam. As she was continuing her exam I texted Adam "are you sitting down" He had been nervous too, and had been texting and calling me while we were waiting for my scan. He immediately called me and was like "are you ok" I said I'm fine, he then asked "are you miscarrying, are you sure you're ok". I said yes, I couldn't be better. He then asked, "what's wrong" I said nothing, everything is fine, but it's Twins! I believe his reaction "Shut the fuck up, you're joking, thats not funny". I said no, I'm not kidding. it's really twins. I just sent you a video. at that point we both were in such shock. He asked if they were ok, I said yes, and that I would call him later. The tech continued her exam and told me that she believed they were Mono/Di which meant they were sharing a placenta, but believed  there were two sacs, but that the sacs were very thin and she would have to let my doctor make that assessment. With this, it means that they are IDENTICAL!

After the scan, I met with my friend the pregnancy educator where we went over my diet, high protein is key. and some other things like increasing my folic acid and ensuring I take prenatals.

After that I met with my doctor, who just smiled at me as she stood in the doorway. Then she gave me a huge hug!!!! She was so happy for me, and it just made me feel so lucky to have her as my doctor. She is such a kind and compassionate person and I'm so lucky she's such a support! We went over a few things, such as delivery (I have to have an epidural for the babies and my safety), increased monitoring (bi weekly cervical checks, and monthly if not more frequent ultrasounds) and things like that.

It's all slowly starting to sink in and I suppose I should begin my little journey of weekly posts! I just can't believe there are two babies inside me, although I feel so much bigger this time, so I guess I'm not all that surprised...

How Far Along? 9 Weeks

Due Date: May 28th 2015

Total weight gain/loss: so far I'm down 2

Maternity clothes? they are my best friends...love them!

Stretch Marks? Oh you bet! but no new ones

Sleep: I feel normal. I'm still nursing Landon and he wakes up once, around 5 AM, and then of course I'm still working nights so some days I only get 2 hrs of sleep, so being tired is my right. 

Best moment this week: Finding out we are having...wait for it....TWINS! the feelings we are having is everything you can possibly imagine. we are elated, nervous, scared, excited and overwhelming blessed. with each pregnancy i've felt so blessed and just can't imagine how much God has blessed us, but this time, the feeling is almost overwhelming! I feel so blessed and lucky. I'm almost moved to tears every time I think about it. 

Movement: too early for this, but I can't wait until I can, making sure these babies are ok is what I'm most anxious for. 

Food cravings: Nothing really

Food aversions: pretty much food in general. I get mildly nauseated every time I eat. but its NOTHING like what it was with the boys!

Gender: I'm thinking we might be changing our tune a little bit...I'm thinking we will be finding out. Twins is a HUGE surprise and I need some sort of control, so being able to pick out two names, and gather a second set of all things baby will be important.

Labor Signs: none...thank you lord!

Belly Button in or out? Innie, maybe with twins it will actually go out!

What I miss: being able to eat sandwiches... Jimmy Johns sounds so good, as well as subway!

What I am looking forward to: Telling everyone. We usually wait until I'm out of the first trimester but with all the complications with identical twins, I'm thinking we need all the prayers we can get and the sooner the better. We plan to tell my parents and Adams parents tomorrow. I called and told my sister today. Its really kind of fun being able to tell people!!! their reactions are PRICELESS!

Size of baby: 




Baby's now the size of a green olive!
Your little embryo has now officially graduated to fetus-hood. Adding to the excitement, a Doppler ultrasound device might be able to pick up the beating heart. With basic physical structures in place and increasingly distinct facial features, baby is kind of starting to look like...well...a baby!







No comments:

Post a Comment