Friday, February 4, 2011


for those living under a rock. Indiana got a wonderful Ice storm this week! Apparently Indiana had an ice storm back in the early 80's but that was before I was born. According to some this ice storm left people without power for over a week! I have to say the treat of no power was the most scary part of the whole thing.

It all started monday. We'd been hearing about "the storm of the century" for a few days but none of us really took it too seriously. They are always calling for feet of snow and we only get a dusting. Well I was at clinical and Adam was texting me all worried about when I was going to be home because when we were getting off happened to be when the worst part of the storm was to happen. I once again wasn't too worried plus what was I going to do leave???

Well when we were done with clinical we all go out to our cars and EVERYTHING was a SHEET of ice! For real! I mean I almost slipped on the rocks that were ice! Luckily I have the greatest group of friends in my nursing class and we all were out in the "raining ice" scraping off each others cars.  It luckily didn't take too long to get home either, only about 3x as long as usual(about 1 hr and 15's usually 25-30). I69 was of course CLOSED so I went up Keystone since it no longer has stop lights. I was very thankful that everyone was ok with going only 30mph and no one really tried to be a race car driver (even myself!) . Because all I wanted was to get home safely. That night I let the dogs out to go to the bathroom before bed and it was the WEIRDEST thing I'd ever seen Sadie my 65lb Shepherd was running on the icyness and wasn't even making foot prints. Now she loves the cold and running around and eating the snow but the ice she was a little confused about. It was rather entertaining to watch. Adam and I stood outside playing with her for about 15 minutes!

All night it 'rained' the icy maddness and by morning there was about 2 inches on the ground. Pretty much everything was closed, schools, malls, and Adam was of course off of work. Well I had to venture out in the mess to go meet up with some friends to study for our upcoming exam. Even though our University was closed we still had an exam to study for. After 5 hours of good studying I wanted to head home because ANOTHER big ice storm was coming in. However Adam wanted me to stop for "milk and BEER" REALLY???? but we were also going to be watching a friend of mine's little girl so my friend could stay at the hospital the night before since she worked the next day and didn't want to worry about trying to drive in the maddness to get to work on time. While I was getting his beer I also got some things to be able to feed miss Claire :)

It once again 'rained' more of this icy maddness and we woke up Wednesday to another 2-3 inches of ice. We had so much ice that I have to 'gun it' to get out of my garage because there is such a build up of ice it's like going over a hump! The ice has been bad for the dogs too. They slide everywhere and the girls really hate going outside. We've had to pick up more and more poop accidents in the house lately! But it's worst for Luke. He has had some bad luck and with his hips slowly going out its not been good for him.

Adam loves claire and both of them took a little nap
But wednesday while I once again headed out to study with my friends Adam and Nikki stayed home (she had her second snow day in a row) and took care of little miss claire. We got some good studying in and the roads weren't too awful bad so I knew we would probably have our exams on Thursday since we weren't due for any more precipitation, though I did pray for a delay.  So Wednesday night I stayed at a friends house so we could first of all study but also so I would only be 15 minutes from our exam instead of 30ish depending on traffic. I really dislike having exams at 9 bc I69 is a disaster in the morning especially with snowy conditions! But I took some pictures that I've yet to download so I'll do that when I get home.

So needless to say this Ice Storm has been interesting. Luckily though it seems to have been a pretty safe one. The one thing that needs to be stressed is people need to SLOW down. On Thursday morning alone 2 officers were hit and injured by drivers going TOO fast and sliding into them while they were trying to help others. So I hope all of you are safe and sound and take it slow on these slippery conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment